1. Never say YES when you truly and deeply and adamantly mean NO, just because you want someone to like you, or not dislike you; or because you just want them to shut up. Or because no matter how often or how loud you ARE saying NO, you realize no one is listening.
2. Never put someone’s wants ahead of your needs. There is a difference between want and need. Know what that is and act accordingly. Take what you need because no one is going to give it to you.
3. Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda will drag you to the edge of the mountain and throw you off, laughing as you crash on the rocks of regret..
4. Remember that “Women need men like fish need bicycles”. Or to quote myself “I love men. I never want to be without one. They make great pets.”
5. Your family are the people who love you, no matter what; who put out a hand when you wobble and lift you up when you fall. These people do not necessarily share your DNA. If the people who share your DNA don’t do these things then they are NOT your family and deserve no consideration.
6. People will not love you the way you need to be loved but rather they way they need to love you. Accept it and do not expect any more. Do not ask why.
7. Trust no one. Human nature is such that when it comes down to the nitty-gritty survival trumps all. They may not mean any harm but if it’s you or them, guess who wins. Altruism does not exist in humans – the seeming self-sacrifice is driven by ego.
8. There is no fine print on your birth certificate. If did not come with guarantees or entitlements.
9. Despite what may have been done to you when you were too young to understand, fight back or take charge, at some point, if you are lucky, you do grow old enough to understand, fight back, take charge. Your life becomes your own – so own it.
Despite what seems like cynicism, but really are lessons learned, I also believe I am never alone or unprotected or have ever been unloved…